Luke 14:12-14 He said also to the one who had invited him, “When you give a luncheon or a dinner, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, in case they may invite you in return, and you would be repaid. But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind. And you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you, for you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.”
Lets all partake in this message during these Holidays.
How many of us are having Christmas dinner and inviting the first group of people listed in the above text (friends, brothers, relatives, neighbors)?
But how many of us are inviting the poor, the crippled, the lame (I’m not talking about “lame uncle charles” haha), the blind? How many non-Christians are you having at your Christmas dinner?
I think you get the point.
So perhaps you don’t have those types of people in your social network. After all, this is quite common in our society to partake in the ‘birds of a feather’ lifestyle and never really integrate that second set of people into our social quarters. Well, first: I implore you to work on that. I believe this text above is to be applied to our everyday lives, not just meal-settings. Invest your time with those that have little to return to you – or have nothing at all. Don’t just babysit for someone who will be able to pay you or babysit for you in return. Don’t just help those who are moving, if they’ve helped you move or will help you in the future. Don’t just give love to those who can love in return, or you know will return it. I think you see where I’m going here…
But Christmas is just 15 days away, so I understand that this is a process…these are fundamental changes you may need to make in your actions and your daily living. So, while I implore you to continue this shift in approach – I am also proposing a way to help this Christmas!
Other names I’ve tossed around: “Christmas Dinner +1 Guest List”, “Luke 14 Project”, “Hot Plate Christmas”…okok…I was trying to have fun with it. 🙂
You can have the opportunity to provide a hot meal plate for someone less fortunate! If you can pledge 1 or more “to go” plates from your Christmas dinner to me, I will pledge to arrange pickup from you and deliver to those in need!
Here’s how it will work:
- I understand that Christmas is a busy day and different people have different schedules – so we are planning this movement to take place on 12/26.
- I will provide Styrofoam plates with lid (think: restaurant’s “to-go”)
- I will use the next 15 days to gather addresses, or commitments to deliver to my address on 12/26
- I will personally fulfill every commitment to arrange collection of +1 Plates
- With a sharpie, we will mark the contents of each plate (for those who may not eat meat, or pork, etc)
- On the same day (12/26) we will identify locations to deliver every hot plate and other donation items (clothing, coats, shoes, toys) to people in need!
LETS PERSONIFY THE RED LETTER WORDS FROM LUKE 14: 12-14!
12/26 Project “event” in Facebook can be found here:https://www.facebook.com/events/313434778680287/